Alumni News

Looking Back


125 years ago:

Brigham Young’s heirs transfer the legal right to sell Brigham Young Academy land and control of academy business to the local board of trustees. 

100 years ago:

Edwin S. Hinckley retires from his position as a counselor to George H. Brimhall and dean of the Church Teachers College. 

75 years ago:

The annual commencement exercises are held in the Provo Tabernacle for the last time before moving to the Joseph Smith Building. 

The inside of the Provo Tabernacle filled with people.

BYU’s class of 1938 and their families pack the Provo Tabernacle, where commencement was held until 1940. Now under renovation to become a temple, the landmark is a symbol of Provo’s revitalization. Photo Courtesy L. Tom Perry Special Collections UAP 2 F-197

50 years ago:

The Stephen L Richards Physical Education Building is completed, giving BYU its own swimming pools and allowing the intramural program to grow substantially.

25 years ago:

Shawn P. Bradley (’95) joins the BYU men’s basketball team.

10 years ago:

President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicates the Joseph F. Smith Building, home to the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences and the College of Humanities.

5 years ago:

Athletic director Thomas A. Holmoe (BS ’83, MS ’95) announces that BYU football will begin competing as an independent team, while most other BYU teams will join the West Coast Conference.


web: Read more about BYU’s history on the University Archives blog at lib.byu.edu/sites/byuhistory.