BYU Press Club, 1935

BYU Press Club, 1935

125 years ago: BYU’s Theological Department begins missionary meetings as a way to prepare young men for missionary service. Speakers at the meetings would include returned missionaries, several Church Presidents, and other General Authorities.

Sp08_3140100 years ago: The BYU Board of Trustees accepts BYU’s request to be designated as the official Church Teachers College.


75 years ago:
 Seeking to turn student interest from social units to clubs, President Franklin S. Harris (B 1907) develops the slogan “Every student in at least one club!”

50 years ago: A bronze statue of Karl G. Maeser created by BYU art alumnus Ortho R. Fairbanks (’50) is unveiled outside the Eyring Science Center.Sp08_3141

25 years ago: R. LaVell Edwards (ED ’78) records his 100th win as head coach of the BYU football team in a 47-12 trouncing of the San Diego State University Aztecs.

Sp08_314210 years ago: Residents of Merrill Hall stage a Malt-O-Meal eating contest. Malt-O-Meal agreed to donate $1 to the United Way for every bowl of cereal eaten.

5 years ago: The BYU Alumni Association initiates the Take a Cougar to Lunch program, where students eat with an alum from their field of study.