Click here to print the article
IT’S ALL IN THE CARD
By Todd Michaelis, '90
THE back of the 193940 Alumni Membership Card lists the "Advantages of Active Membership in B.Y.U. Alumni Association":
"1. Receive 'Y' News weekly, keeping in close touch with campus activities.
2. Seat preference at athletic events if reservations are made before hand. Discount on Football Season Tickets.
3. 25% discount on reserved seats to all B.Y.U. Speech Department Plays.
4. Right to participate in organization activities.
5. Privilege of using Heber J. Grant Library books through the mail, and the right to use other facilities of the university.
6. Satisfaction of knowing you contributed your bit in promoting the welfare of your Alma Mater."
Some things have changed since 1939, including a few of the alumni perks. The library, for instance, has changed names and locations, and discounts on season football tickets are no longer available. While alumni have access to many benefits without a card, the Alumni Membership Card of today is still loaded with benefits, including access to campus facilities and selected price breaks at dining, entertainment, and shopping venues.
Obtaining a card is easy and free.
According to Janie M. Campbell, '06, alumni biographer, approximately 12,000 cards are issued each year. Those who qualify are graduates, non-graduate alumni with 24 or more credit hours, and spouses of alumni (spouses do not need to be BYU alumni themselves).
INFO: To obtain a free Alumni Membership Card, contact the Alumni Records office at 801-422-6740 or 1-877-827-2218 or send an e-mail message to email@example.com.
Copyright 2011 by Brigham Young University.